Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Tackling the Piles

We have lots of trees. And lots of trees generate lots of leaves. And lots of leaves left to accumulate for lots of years make lots of piles and hide lots of nice aesthetic elements.


So the kids and I decided to tackle the bank along the lower drive Friday afternoon. We were suspicious that those rocks poking out from under the piles were meant to be something a little more decorative.

I must say . . . I had great helpers!! :o)
Our efforts did come abruptly to an end though when I noticed about a dozen small bees swarming around the uncovered rocks, rotting leaves still on the ground, and piles of leaves on the tarps. I am not fond of bees. At all. I've learned to control my natural impulse to freeze and panic since having children (since I don't want them petrified of bees), but I was still not inclined to hang around once they showed up. So I declared it was time to return to the house to prepare dinner, and we continued the yard work Saturday morning when Daddy was available to help.
Here's Peter working hard to pull the wagon with our supplies . . . (Yes, he wanted to do it. No, he didn't want help.)
The pile of brush was first on the morning's list--since it was cooler and we were planning to generate lots of heat. :o]
Our lovely water girl . . . :o)
Ah, this is why we help! :o)
Just to get an idea of the size of the pile . . .
Making sure water is available . . .
Light 'er up!
Love the way the charcoal highlighted this log!
Enjoying the water bucket . . .
Compliments of Hannah . . .
(I served as fire marshallette while Chris mowed and added more fuel to the pile.)
Yep, the heat wore us all out.
But before we completely quit, Chris and I hauled four huge tarps of leaves off just this one section in addition to the two smaller tarps I hauled the day before. I'm glad I took the before picture, cause there's still lots of leaves left, but it does look better! :o)
It's good exercise regardless! :o)

3 comments:

Marsel said...

Looking great!

Delighted Hands said...

I love a 'clean the yard' day!

Peggy said...

I've always thought I would want a yard with lots of trees, but I've got to say.....raking that much may not be the best of that world. :-)