Saturday, September 12, 2009

Full Steam Ahead!

It really is amazing how much motivation impending company can provide. :o) We are thoroughly anticipating a visit from my parents and grandparents in October and there's just a few "little" things which it seems as though it might be nice to get spruced up before they arrive --or at least make a good effort towards. :o) I must say that I am VERY excited to have the kitchen counters on order!!! Woo hoo! Hopefully in the next couple weeks they'll be getting installed! Yes, I am VERY excited about that. :o)

And what else have we undertaken? The bathroom. Yep. Our very green bathroom, which for the record, is going to stay green. Do you know what color paint blends perfectly with our lovely tile? Guacamole dip. Yes. As in pull out the Tostitos. :o) It's really not nearly so bad as it sounds. :o)

These pictures aren't overly complete, but they'll at least give an idea of what we're attempting. The Goal: Freshen it up and deal with some safety/mold issues with as minimal $ outlay as possible. (Umm, that generally happens to be our goal in nearly every project we undertake, but that's beside the point.) :o)

So, here's where we're at.

1. Replace the poorly installed light switch with a new double switch outlet so that we (umm, make that Chris) could install an exhaust fan.


The grinder made lots of noise, but of course that just means we cover our ears--who would consider moving to a different area of the house if Daddy is here? :o) Sorry, no pics of the final product. It's a nice, white, straight, double switch. You can use your imagination. :o)

2. We're replacing the old medicine cabinet with a wall mirror, but the intermediary step was removing the light sconces attached to it. We also installed a new vanity light which is currently upside down since the medicine cabinet can't open if it's right side up. :o) (Nope, no pictures of that either.)

3. The ceiling tile in the shower had pulled away from the ceiling, so Chris figured out a way to get glue in there to fix it. Pretty creative if you ask me. :o)

The supports made for an interesting shower the next morning. :o) But, they didn't fall and for that we were very thankful. The ceiling tile is nice and tight now.
4. And today we (umm, make that Chris again) prepped the walls for paint. It's amazing how much better they look just having the multitude of holes filled!!

So, what's my contribution in all of this? I keep everyone fed, keep clean clothes in the drawers, make sure the kids stay out from underfoot, clean up the mess, and pick the paint (among other things!!) :o) I'll also help when it comes time to actually put paint on the walls and I'll take care of the curtains for the window. :o) Team effort--most of my stuff just isn't overly picture worthy. :o)

4 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

Looking good! I like the ingenuity especially!

Marsel said...

So exciting to see things move from dream to reality! (and just for the record, I think that green is pretty and has a lot of potential!)

Peggy said...

Guacomole dip? Interesting. But I get it. A reason to get it done. Glad we could help. :-)

Marla said...

Your tile looks exactly like ours...and we decided to leave it too! Hehe.

As far as paint color, we settled on the palest grey and we think it looks beautiful. Then I chose white and grey accents and it has a very clean look. Anyway, it's a thought - the green tile is so hard to tame! :o)