Friday, March 13, 2009

Officially Transplanted


I have never felt more "southern" than I do tonight. I have made, for the first time in my life, a Red Velvet Cake. Tomorrow evening we're joining some friends from church for dinner and one of the members of our group is a dear sweet lady who celebrated her birthday this week (of an advanced age which shall remain numberless!) :o) Since I'm bringing the dessert I called to ask what her favorite might be. "Just make a Red Velvet Cake, dear." Gulp.

After some research on Google, I found a recipe which seemed to be a reasonably doable collection of the general ingredients in the multitude of recipes available. Two Tablespoons of Red Food Coloring!! Yikes!

Today was my first time making such a thing and tomorrow will be my first time to eat one. (Please pray that it comes out well!)

From the Kitchen of an Official Southern Transplant

3 comments:

Marsel said...

Yum -- it looks lovely (and, incidentally, rather velvety)! Let us know how it turns out.

Peggy said...

If you start deep frying all your chicken, eating turnip greens and grits, we'll know all your northern is gone. :-)
And if you ever raid the grocery store shelves for bread and milk when they forcast an inch of snow there will be weeping in the streets! :-)

Isn't red velvet cake really just chocolate cake with a ton of red food coloring?

JR said...

Wow, that definitely is RED! Hope it turns out well! :)