Saturday, July 14, 2012

365 Project | Week 26

We thoroughly enjoyed our week with Grandma and Grandpa! :) In fact, we had so much fun, that I'm breaking my "rule" and including a bonus picture for many days. :)

Day 176. Most visits to Michigan include at least one round of some new game with Bryan and Janie. The games are definitely fewer in number these days though than they were, oh, about five or so years ago. ;)


Day 177. Grandpa had a big project which kept the men occupied most of Monday, so we enjoyed a girls' day complete with shopping, baking, and a movie. :)

My favorite "Grandma quote" from all of vacation: "Peter, I think it's stirred enough--if you get any more flour on your shirt, I'm going to have to bake you!" :) (Said with a smile and without the slightest hint of exasperation ... hmmm, Mommy needs lessons in that occasionally!)

Day 178. We enjoyed a fun family picnic at Uncle Pat and Aunt Judy's. Not only did they graciously capture a family photo for us, but Matthew thoroughly enjoyed exploring. :)


Day 179. Grandparent day! :) Grandma braved the park with the kiddoes on her own while Mommy and Daddy did some planning for the following week.

Grandpa and Peter enjoyed building Lego's together.

Day 180. Building definitely runs in the family. :) Uncle Bryan and the kids had fun putting together their birthday gift of a working roller coaster. :)

Cousins! :) We were SO glad to finally get to meet Kathryn! She is a CUTIE!

Day 181. And then our paths diverged. Chris' folks travelled back to our place with him in order to lend assistance in the bathroom remodel, while I headed to NY with the kids to spend a week with my parents (and thus help with the bathroom remodel by staying out of the way.) ;)

My Dad has cousins who live in Canada, so we took a detour and spent the evening with them at their "cottage farm." Directions are not a strong point for me, and as we do not have a GPS, navigating the unfamiliar roads with just my maps was quite the adventure (and a leetle bit nerve racking). :) We made it safely though, and I was so glad I didn't chicken out! Doug and Hilke's farm was beautiful--much like a private camp, complete with lots of tractors-real ones and toy ones, hiking trails, a "hay" ride, and a campfire. The kids had so much fun, and we enjoyed great fellowship. I also enjoyed learning more about our family's German heritage from Hilke.

Me and my crew!  
 Our "hay" ride :)

Day 182. The second half of Mommy's solo trip with the kids was kinda crazy. Did you know that Canada day in July 1? And on June 30 pretty much everyone in Canada decides to hit the QEW in order to get to wherever they want to be to spend their holiday? Yep. Traffic was nuts. And on top of that, as I was traveling in very heavy traffic, I was reading signs informing me that the border crossing my maps took me through had delays of 2-3 hours. Not good. So I called my personal GPS (i.e. my hubby) and he helped me figure out what it would take to get to the one border crossing without a crazy long wait. Praise the Lord, we made it, and the kids were phenomenal travelers! (I took this picture while we were parked on the bridge.) :)

Next stop, Grandma and Grandpa's! (Hmmm, that sounds a bit familiar ...) ;)

3 comments:

Robin said...

We enjoyed your visit! We sure had
a lot of fun building with Lego's,
the park, making cookies, home made
ice-cream & a birthday party.
A fun week for every one!

pmartens616 said...

Love the family picture. Though I have to admit to curiousity about the depth perception for Chris. I know he is not four or five inches shorter than Bryan, but it looks that way in the picture. So glad Robin decided against 'baking' Peter. :-) Would have missed him bunches. Though I'm sure he would make a very sweet cookie.

Robin said...

Peggy, Bryan is standing on a mount
of dirt from the flower garden. Which
makes him look even taller!