Monday, January 24, 2011

Happy Noise

A balloon is fun.
Lots of fun.
Especially since Mommy lets us "play ball" in the house with balloons when "playing ball" with any other type of ball in the house is most definitely frowned upon.
However ...
A balloon is even more fun when it's combined with a paddle.
A safe paddle (i.e. safe to furniture, walls, pets, and people).
A safe paddle made with some glue, tape, a popsicle stick, a piece of cardboard from an empty pasta or cereal box, and a scrap of construction paper.
I made the paddles on the spur of the moment last week as a replacement for Hannah's popsicle puppet that Peter wanted to use for a paddle. And then I was privileged to prepare dinner while two children kept themselves noisily and happily occupied for more than half an hour. They had a blast playing, and I had a blast watching them and listening to the ruckus. (And I didn't mind demonstrating that I was quite able to keep a balloon in the air for an extended period of time using just my paddle ... a mommy has to be good at something athletically related!)
Just one word of caution, however, should you pursue this wholesome activity for your own crew ...

It's very noisy. Fun, happy noise, but noise nonetheless. And it tends toward rowdyness. SO ... plan a wind down time before daddy gets home from work. He'll thank you for it. ;o) What's not so bad when you're in the middle of it and are simply encouraged your kids are having fun and keeping busy is a might overwhelming coming in on it cold after a long day at work.

Not that I'd know about any of this from personal experience ... ;o)

3 comments:

Marsel said...

Glad you could impress them...the older they get, the harder it is to amaze them, so it's always nice to pull it off! :)

Joanna said...

I'll take happy noises any day! When Brianne comes over, I usually hear fighting and arguing, but it's SOOO much nicer to hear the two of them playing happily with lots of laughter. :) That looked like a fun game to try!

Peggy said...

Balloon ball. Sounds like a game even old people like grandma's and grandpa's could play.