Thursday, January 28, 2010

Our Fearless Explorers

We stopped at the grocery store on the way home from school today, and I gladly obliged the kids' request to play outside while I unloaded groceries. When I heard Hannah tell Peter that they were "going exploring" I made clear my rule that they stay within sight of the screened porch, and then they were off.

It's the first time they've really ventured beyond the swing tree on their own. I took pictures just so I could remember how small they looked.

Zoomed in 4x (as close as my camera would go) . . . they still look pretty small. But they were having fun.
When they returned, each with walking sticks in tow, Hannah informed me they had been looking for bears. Hmmm . . . we've been reading the "Woof" stories in a collection Aunt Barbi gave us for Christmas, and Woof gets chased by a bear in Woof's Bad Day. I suspect I know where the idea to look for bears came from . . . :o)
And another picture to remind myself someday when he's towering over me that he was once little.
Hannah was sharing her plans for continuing the bear exploration right after breakfast Saturday morning. However, they're predicting a mess of sleet, freezing rain, and possibly snow. Chris gently explained that the bear exploration might have to be delayed. "That's okay. We can do crafts instead."

2 comments:

Marsel said...

Glad you're taking the time to appreciate these moments...I can't believe how fast mine have grown. We'll never regret having taken a minute to savor our little ones!

Bethany said...

Exploring is one of the best ways to learn! By the way, I love all your trees :-)