Thursday, April 16, 2009

Daddy's Little Man

At just a few days short of his 2nd birthday, Peter's personality is definitely coming alive. :o) He's a hoot! :o) For so long I've had trouble getting him to smile for pictures . . . now when I bring out the camera he gives me this big, quirky, squinty eyed grin--I love it! :o) (And immediately following the click, he "pleases" to see the picture after which he proceeds to point to himself with a very self-satisfied smile.) :o)

On this particular day he was "helping" me open the jar of peaches--he finally resorted to pounding the can, leavng some rather significant dents in the top. When it comes to pounding, his arm and aim are probably more effective than mine!

Daddy is definitely #1, whether working or sleeping! :o)


And we now have two "talkers"! He's definitely been on his own schedule as far as speech is concerned, but in just the last couple weeks, Peter has finally started using words! :o) "Ma ma ma," "Da da da," "uh-oh," and "mys" or "mine" are now regular parts of his vocabularly, in addition to his signs for "please," "thank you," "airplane," "I don't know/Where" and "eat." There's probably a few more signs I'm not thinking of right now--he's been pretty effective at communicating without speech.

Since he obviously understands most everything we're talking about and he has been "communicating," we haven't been concerned over his lack of verbiage, but it's still rather nice to have him using some words in addition to his signs now. :o) We even got a (very brief) "sentence" yesterday--as Chris came up the sidewalk after work I distinctly heard a very excited "mys Da da!"

And one other thing, he's had "no" down as a full-body shake back and forth for quite a few months . . . but the answer was "no" regardless of the question--including questions like "Would you like some icecream?" or "Would you like to have Taggy?" Just in the last couple of days he's started to figure out "yes"--it, too, is more of a full-body bob than a nod, but we're actually getting mostly accurate answers to yes/no questions now!

We love you, Buddy! :o)

3 comments:

Marsel said...

Precious!

JR said...

I love the grin! How fun to watch him grow up and explore new words! (and bodily movements :) )

Peggy said...

Gotta say, just LOVE that grin.
And I'm happy to know that the full-body yes is happening. It was funny to see him answering no when you knew he meant yes.