Thursday, April 16, 2009

CVS Foray

Well, I made my first foray into the world of CVS Extra Bucks this evening. I got the above items for $28.05 while saving $34.72. Yeah! I saved more than I spent! I must admit though that I also learned a few things:

1. Be careful about getting your hopes set too high on matching Manufacturer's Coupons with in-store deals. I had $7 worth of coupons which I thought I was going to be able to match up with these items only to find that they were the wrong size or something.

2. Don't count on items which will be "Free" after Extra Bucks being there when you get to the store. Everybody else wants those, too. :o}

3. Aldi and Walmart's everyday prices, store brands, and "ordinary" brands like Suave are pretty stiff competition against even "great" sales at drug stores and regular grocery stores. Yes, according to CVS, I "saved" nearly $35 this evening; however, that means I would have spent $63 for 60 diapers, 4 bottles of shampoo/conditioner, 1 can of mousse, 4 boxes of feminine items, and 1 stick of deodorant. Those same items in the brands I usually buy would have cost me about $38-40 at Walmart. So in reality, I "saved" about $10. Not too bad, but I'm not completely sure it was worth as much time as I spent on it this afternoon.

4. I think there's a learning curve to couponing, and I haven't humped it yet. :o)
Happy Thursday!

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Ah, the realities of 'SAVINGS"!!
If you count your time, it was a wash, but still kind of neat. It's sort of like me telling Dad that I 'saved' money on clothes with a 'Jenny' deal, when, if I hadn't spent it in the first place....:-)