Sunday, January 11, 2009

"Let's try it again"

We've been working with Hannah to help her learn to immediately say "thank you" (without prompting) when someone gives her a compliment. Our efforts to that end have turned into a rather fun game of exchanging compliments at random times throughout the day. The following conversation just took place this evening . . .

"I like your jammies, Mommy."
"Thank you!"
"You're welcome." (very brief pause) " . . . now say it to me."
"I like your jammies, too, Hannah."
"No, my flowers."
"Your flowers are very pretty."
"No, the flowers on my jammies."
"Yes, on your jammies."
(Very small sigh.) "Let's try it again." (Said with the best teacher voice that's ever come from behind the lecturn. Mommy bursts out into hysterical laughter. Hannah really doesn't understand why Mommy is laughing, but since laughter is infectious, she laughs, too.)
"I like the flowers on your jammies, Hannah."
BRIGHT smile. "Thank you!"
"You're welcome." (Phew! Glad I got it right!) :o)

The fun thing about our game in general is that her compliments are completely sincere--whether it's about our hair or face or outfit or dinner or whatever, she's learned to genuinely express appreciation for special things about other people. And in the process, she's learning to say thank you rather than duck her head or ignore others' compliments. Ah, the joys of parenting! :o)

2 comments:

Robin said...

Hannah, Grandma likes your jammies
and the flowers on your jammies too!

Peggy said...

I can so hear that conversation.
Especially the sigh! :-)