For some reason, cool treats like "homemade icecream in a bag" took on a whole new appeal! Here's out attempts at that . . .
Supposedly you put the ingredients in a bag with ice, shake for five minutes, and "presto!" you have icecream . . . we basically ended up with cold milky soup, but we had fun regardless and the kids didn't know the difference. :o)
One evening I was just absolutely beat and spent about an hour after dinner just lying under a fan. My dear wonderful husband took the kids on a trip in the air-conditioned van and came back with a blender (after managing to stretch the trip out into about 2-1/2 hours)! :o) I had made just an off-hand comment about wanting one to make smoothies and such. How fun! We've certainly enjoyed the fruits of that trip! :o)
We also enjoyed making strawberry yogurt pops! Now this recipe did work and it was super easy: Blend 1-1/2 cups fresh or frozen strawberries and 1/2 cup vanilla yogurt. Pour into popsicle molds and freeze four hours. Yummy!
However, the biggest blessing is that we now have two window air-conditioners! (And I must say that the time without them has made me appreciate them much more!) A couple from church came over Wednesday evening after prayer meeting with an extra small unit they had. While we ladies fellowshipped, the men removed the window in the kitchen and got it installed. Chris is obviously very handy, but it was a blessing for him to have the benefit of Mr. R's experience. That first AC definitely helped take the edge off in the kitchen, but it also laid the groundwork to make it easier to get a more appropriately sized unit for the main living area installed (which we did this weekend). The Lord provided a great one on Craig's List for less than 2/3 of the price of a new one (and it had never been used!) Yeah for cool air!
And, to help with sleeping, Chris retrofitted the first unit into the kids' bedroom (without removing the window)! :o) Now that he knows it works, he'll work on getting a a slightly less unique installation base, but it does the trick for now. :o) (And it would almost qualify for one of those "You know you're in South Caroline when . . . " pictures.) :o)
And on top of all of that, we hosted a "funistry" event for our Children's Church class, Hannah's come down with fifth's disease, and all sorts of other things. More on that later! :o) For now, have fun staying cool! :o)PS - Brief Side Note: The window units are not permanent--we're just trying to make a careful decision on a permanent central-air unit in light of some future plans we have for our home. The window units will help us not rush the other decision which requires a pretty significant investment!

6 comments:
"Sweet" picture of Hannah & Peter
with their strawberry yogurt pops!
Jenny,your low temperature 62 degrees
was our high temperature for today!!
Ah, so you haven't been practicing "boring" lately, either, huh?! :)
I like your A/C stand! I remember well the summer of Fifth's disease. Will pray for Hannah and the rest of you, too.
Wow! Rough week all around! Glad the air is at least cooling things off. The heat has been a killer that past week or so here too, but I am in A/C all day and at my house too. Phill has an ice cream maker ball. I can see if I can borrow it for the weekend if the kids would like a second go around. I do remember it taking a little while for the "cream" to turn into "ice though. :-)
"You might be a redneck if...." along with red velvet cake, I guess we can add window a/c stands. :-)
Love Peter's "Mommy I can see the end of my nose with both eyes" picture.
And I hope Hannah feels better soon.
Post a Comment