Monday, June 15, 2009

Organization Returns!

It was bad. Very bad.

I can honestly say that I have never had a "non-construction zone" under my domain in such a state of total chaos. Ah well. The worst part was that the kids still wanted to play in there! Thankfully they always managed to find their way back out! :oP

The storeroom wasn't "organized," but it was at least navigable. Just a little tough to find things or get at that box on the bottom of the pile! :o)

However, in a household where efficiency tends to reign, the empty space on this wall above the boxes was, well, not an "efficient use of space!" (Sorry folks, yes, we really do think this way. For better or for worse, we at least think alike on the subject!) :o)

I started Friday evening with an attempt to bring some organization to the guest room. I did make some progress, but it quickly became evident that the shelving we were planning to add to the storeroom needed to happen sooner rather than later. Mainly because we needed a place to store the extra twin bed, and the top of a double-wide shelving unit seemed like the best option.
I was organizing while the kids and Chris built the shelves, so I don't have any "in progress" pictures with the kids, but here's the final product.

Peter's expression of "this isn't all it's cracked up to be" is unfortunately pretty accurate. It was a long day for them. They did really well, but playing on their own and staying out of the way of moving boxes and piles gets old after a while. Thankfully these kind of projects happen once and then they're done. Maintenance is so much easier!
Here's the vast majority of the storeroom moved out and stacked in the basement area . . .

So that we could position the new shelving.

And many hours later, I now know where all of my storage boxes are, what's in each of them, and like items are generally sitting in the same area of the room. :o) And it's MUCH easier to get to them! :o)

And . . . ta da!
Our guest room! :o) Hannah is very excited about her "dolly corner." She has her dolls, cradle, stoller, and rocker all set up in one spot. :o)
And here's the kids' play area. :o)

Whew. It's done. We probably bit off more than we should have tried to chew, but we all survived (including the kids), and it's so much nicer to have that done! :o)

4 comments:

Delighted Hands said...

One of my favorite chores of homemaker-order out of chaos! Good job.

Marsel said...

Organization is such a happy accomplishment!

So since you and Chris are both organizers, do your kids come by it naturally or do they love making messes as much as my kiddos do?!

cj and family said...

Ah, if only that were true! Unfortunately, the messes come naturally--the organization does not! :o)

Peggy said...

You know, those shelves would have made great bunk beds. :-) Just kidding. Since I know that you and Chris and organization are sort of like Dad's tool box, (I'm still waiting for him to outline the spots for his tools as if they were dead bodies at a crime scene) I understand it is meant for storage.
Looking good. And just think Peter, now you have a spot for your toys. And I would have probably looked the same after a long day of organizing also.