Sunday, March 2, 2014

365Project.2014 | Week 9

It's so much more fun to do this project when I actually remember to take pictures throughout the week! :) 

55. Yep, we do have school around here. :) 

56. So thankful for Emmy who watches Matthew during Good News Club! :) Matthew loves playing at "Callie's house," and you'll notice that gender distinctions require NO coaching! ;)

57. Our dear friend and adopted "Grandma" was blessed once again in marriage this weekend! We are so excited for her, but we're definitely going to miss our Sunday morning rides with her as she moves away to her new husband's home. ♥

58. Spelling. Some lists are easier than others and this week's was one of the "others" ... our letter tile "game" came out and made practice much more fun (and effective!)

For any who are curious ... I made a table in Word and typed one letter per square till I had all the letters for his spelling list. We printed and cut those out. I also made "word cards" with a picture on one side to represent the spelling word and the word printed in light gray text on the backside (so that you couldn't see it through the paper.) He would pick a word card and then have to choose the tiles needed to spell the word correctly. He simply turned the card over to check his work. We don't do this every week, but on the weeks where he's still struggling significantly with his list on Wednesday, this helps him over the hump.

59. Mommy had a day without back pain! :) And since the weather was beautiful AND it was Friday AND strawberries were only $1.67/lb ... we made an excursion to Publix for the ingredients for strawberry shortcake! :)

Hannah and helpers made the from-scratch shortcake entirely by themselves while Mommy cut up strawberries.  What a joy it was to this Mommy's heart to watch them working together so sweetly! ♥


60. Saturday was a bit of a random day ... Daddy and Peter finished some rearranging in the shop, with one end result being a workbench for Peter. :) He's more than a little excited! ;)

Hannah and Matthew did some more baking ... Oatmeal Scotchie pizza was on the menu this time.

And Mommy sewed the valence for the front window in our bedroom! :)

61. Ta-da! :)


And one other random photo collection from the week ... Mommy's other sewing project. :) (With some less than professional pictures ... sorry!) I had some maternity shirts from previous pregnancies I had lovingly termed "tents." They were in the bag for Miracle Mart until I got inspired to see if I could replicate the side "ruching" I had seen at Target but didn't care to pay $20 for.

Pinterest made it look easy. ;) I started with the shirt I liked least ... since I could care less if I destroyed it ...

Before: Tent #1 ...


After: Multiple inches trimmed off the sides, elastic added for "ruching," and sleeves now appropriate for the upcoming season. :) It's now hanging in my closet! :)

And tent #2 ... it wasn't quite as huge as the other, but still more than a little shapeless.

And now it fits! (With room for the baby to grow ...) ;) (You'll notice I was actually wearing this one on Saturday when hubby snapped my photo!)

And that's that ... I've never altered clothing before, and am very excited about the results (and the potential!) Definitely have a few more shirts with which I'm looking forward to trying my new-found skill. Although, I strongly suspect that I might benefit from some instruction on how to sew with knit/stretchy material ... maybe YouTube should be my next stop ... 

Thanks for visiting! :)

5 comments:

JR said...

I love the shirts! You did such a fantastic job! And you're looking great. :) Praying the back pain subsides for good. I dealt with that with K and it was pretty miserable and at times debilitating.

Marsel said...

Beautiful job on the shirts! Using a twin needle and sewing slowly and steadily (speed is your enemy here) can make a big difference in handling knits. Those would be my top 2 sewing-with-knits hints! :)

Thanks for the strawberry mention on fb -- I have another friend who has been craving fresh strawberries, so when I saw your fb status about them, I emailed her about it and she was able to get some. Thanks for spreading the joy!

cj and family said...

Thanks Janie and Marsel! :) I've never used a twin-needle before though, Marsel ... that seems pretty scary to me! Glad the strawberries worked out for your friend! :)

Peggy said...

Now I know what you mean by side rouching! Have to admit I wasn't quite getting it. Sorry I can't help you with sewing with knits. I'm not sure I ever did much of that. Does your machine have the capability for twin needles? Guess I'll have to bring mine down for a visit. :-)

cj and family said...

My machine can DO twin needles, Mom ... it's the seamstress who's not too sure about it. ;)