Thursday, June 2, 2011

Thirfty Thursdays ~ Keeping Coupons


Since most of the questions directed my way have concerned couponing, I'm starting Thrifty Thursdays with a simple series on couponing. This is not going to be a comprehensive evaluation of every method out there. This is going to be "The Jenny Version" of couponing. :o) It's what works for me. And you're probably going to need to tweak it if it's going to work for you--because you're not me. :o)

So here we go. If you're going to coupon, you're going to need a means of keeping those valuable pieces of paper organized and accessible. (The day coupons go digital will be a blessed day!) You can start small, but if you get serious about couponing, you're probably going to graduate to something larger.

I originally tried the photo album/baseball sleeve method. It did not work for me. It took too long to put the coupons in the slots, I had blank spaces when I pulled expired coupons, and it was expensive to buy more holders as I grew my coupon stash. Enough said. Based on articles I've read, some people love it, so it might work for you. (In fact, I think that's the method Jenny at SouthernSavers.com uses.)

What does work for me is my black box.
I can put all the categories I want for my coupons in it, it's SUPER easy to file my coupons, and all I have to do to find a coupon is pull the folder and flip through a small pile of clipped coupons. And when I pull expired coupons, my pile to flip through simply gets smaller. A good thing.

And for what it's worth, even though I usually put the tabs for hanging files on the back of the folder, for my coupon box, I put the tabs on the front. It makes it easier for my fingers to quickly file the small pieces of paper. I rarely take my black box to the store or even in the van. My black box sits under my desk. When I'm preparing my grocery list, I pull the coupons I need and put them in my smaller pink holder. Since it has a limited number of sections, I simply consolidated my categories.


Have I ever missed a random deal because I didn't have all of my coupons with me at the store? Yes. And I'm okay with that. :o) Since I'm often shopping with three children, and rarely without at least one, I simply have not a spare hand nor room in my cart for my black box.

And now, for those who are interested, here are the categories in my black box:



  • Food (the first folder for each section is the misc. folder)


  • Beverages/Tea


  • Breads/Cereals


  • Canned/Boxed Goods


  • Condiments/Seasonings


  • Desserts/Baking Goods


  • Frozen Food


  • Frozen Veggies


  • Meat


  • Refrigerated


  • Refrigerated Bread/Dough


  • Snacks/Nuts


  • Yogurt


  • Health & Beauty


  • Body Care


  • Facial/Cosmetics


  • Hair Care


  • Medicine/First-Aid


  • Tooth Care


  • Household


  • Air Fresheners


  • Cleaning Supplies


  • Kitchen Products


  • Laundry Supplies


  • Paper Products


  • Miscellaneous


  • Baby/Childcare


  • CVS Coupons


  • Dining


  • Retail


  • Coupon Fliers

Next week I plan to cover Clipping Coupons ... which coupons do I clip, where do I find them, when do I clip them, and how do I sort them?


What method of keeping coupons has worked (or not worked) for you?

1 comment:

pmartens616 said...

I still say the alarm should go off when you leave the store. But I do think you have a ways to go to be one of those "extreme couponers"! :-)